Monday, 23 January 2017

The Girl of Ink and Stars - Book Review


The Girl of Ink and Stars

Kiran Millwood Hargrave
MG Fantasy
UK PUBLISHER: Chicken House

Synopsis:

Forbidden to leave her island, Isabella Riosse dreams of the faraway lands her father once mapped.

When her closest friend disappears into the island’s forgotten territories, she volunteers to guide the search. As a cartographers daughter, she’s equipped with elaborate ink maps and knowledge of the stars, and is eager to navigate the island’s forgotten heart.

But the world beyond the walls is a monster-filled wasteland — and beneath the dry rivers and smoking mountains, a legendary fire demon is stirring from it’s sleep. Soon, following the map, her heart and an ancient myth, Isabella discovers the true end of her journey: to save the island itself.

Review:

The Girl of Ink and Stars is a sweet, middle-grade adventure that has the power to charm all its readers. Wrapped in a pretty cover, inside of which are beautiful pages and pretty script, this a lovely book to add to any pre-teens collection. 

Isabella loves stories detailing the myths and legends of her island home. Yet when the governors daughter — her best friend, Lupe — goes missing, Isabella will do anything to see Lupe brought home safely. Even venture into the Island’s forgotten territories.

But the closer Isabella gets to the heart of the island, the more she realises that the myths and legends about it were true. Now, after a thousand  years of slumber — a fire demon has awoken with plans to lay claim to the island once more… and Isabella may be the only one who can stop it…

One of my favourite things about this book was the stories within a story element. Tales of the Island’s history, recaps of peoples adventures, as well as backstory on other characters and artefacts, all made it into this book. That alone really helped flesh out the world and bring Isabella’s story to life.

Isabella herself was a feisty heroine although I didn't always understand her decisions. Still I admired her bravery and liked how she was prepared to risk everything to save her friend.  Although I did feel the ending was a little… weird, given what the story itself was about. 

Also with so much happening in the last chapters, my mind struggled to wrap around the new ideas and I felt some scenes were just thrown in for the sake of raising the action. Worth mentioning too is that although the book is very fast paced, there is no subplots or intrigues. Each event follows the next in a predictable way that I think would be enjoyed more by younger readers.

All in all though this was still a cute read and a nice book to while away an afternoon with. Also both the cover and interior pages are beautiful. 3 stars!

10 comments:

  1. Great review, Sarah! I've yet to read this one, but I didn't know it was for younger readers, I thought it was YA. That may put me off, because I don't generally enjoy MG. And I'm not really liking that there are no other subplots, that findinf her friend is the only focus. It just doesn't seem realistic? Or even right for a story; I mean, there's always something else going on in stories, even if it isn't major or related to the main plot. For there not to be anything else seems kind of weird. But I do like the sound of the myths. I don't know, maybe I'll read it at some point, but I won't rush to do so. Thank you for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jo - and I thought this one would be YA too but luckily for me I don't mind MG. Still it was an interesting story and the book itself is beautiful.

      Delete
  2. I am a sucker for silhouetted covers like this one! It reminds me of Love in the Time of Global Warning, and Little Bee. :D It sounds like it's a beautiful story, inside and out. I'm not an MG reader anymore, but this one sounds cool. The fast pace wouldn't bother me but I can see how it would a little much, and yet not enough in terms of plot. Great review, Sarah!

    Have a wonderful week. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alyssa - and this is a sweet story and its pretty short. It would make a nice read if you ever do fancy picking up MG again.

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of this one before but the cover is beautiful and I love the sound of stories within stories. Thanks for bringing this to my attention--I will definitely have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a nice read - I just wanted something a little... more, to happen. But the book itself is beautiful. I love it when the pages themselves are made pretty!

      Delete
  4. Great review! I can't decide whether I really like, or really *don't* like that cover though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it - but its the inner pages that really caught my attention. So decorative!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for linking up to the British Books Challenge. I really liked this one. I'm looking forward to Kiran's new book this year too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle for stopping by. I would definitely be interested to read more by this author, since there was a lot I liked about this book. However It didn't wow me quite the way I expected it to. *Curses expectations*

      Delete