Wednesday, 13 January 2016

Happy New Year


(This picture was taken on a rooftop terrace in Vietnam)



Happy New Year!

Hey guys, can’t believe we are almost two weeks into the new year already! I hope every one is having a fantastic 2016 so far! Anyway it’s been a good long while since I’ve had a catch-up on the blog, so I thought I would share with you some of things I’ve been up to over the last six months.

First things first, in June 2015 I moved back to China. 

This time though I chose a bigger city, a smaller school, and best of all my Canadian Caveman found us cosy apartment that we’ve made home :) However the scary thing is (apart from the fact that I’m now living with a boy!) with the exception of a few months travel here and there, I’ve pretty much been in China 3 years now! Can you believe it?

At the end of the summer I also went on a self-imposed reading ban!

Say what! But you’re a book blogger I hear you cry. Well, let me begin by telling you it wasn't easy. And I cheated. Twice…. and it was with the newly released J.D Robb and Sara J Maas books if you’re wondering. But the reason is, as much as I love book blogging, I want to be a writer even more, and my reading to writing ratio was not good. However that leads to my next point.

In October 2015 I finished writing my first novel - A YA Urban Fantasy.

This was a huge achievement for me, and a massive learning curve. Whether or not this book will ever see the light of day still remains to be seen, but it’s now polished, edited and waiting in the wings for when I am ready to start querying agents later this month…

My baby-brother became a professional footballer for Manchester United!

My seventeen-year-old brother, Zak Dearnley, officially signed his contract with Manchester United. While many people think kicking a ball about is easy, its not! Since he was five years old my brother has trained hard and sacrificed a lot to get where he is and I couldn't be more proud of him. However I will let him tell you his own story, which if you are interested in, you can check out HERE.

October also saw the opening of FLAVOURS AND FABLES.

And what is Flavours and Fables you ask? It’s a cafe in SUNDERLAND, opened by my best friend who not only serves the best milkshakes and cakes ever, but she runs many events including book groups, pokemon gatherings, Spanish sessions, confidence-building workshops and so much more. However I wanted to give her a shout out because not only did she find the courage to quit her soul-sucking job and start her own business, but because she is the greatest and most giving person I know!

November the reading ban lifted!

This was a happy, happy day - And also why I have about a million book reviews to write. Why is there always so many books but so little time?

December - I cooked Christmas dinner for the first time.

Ok, so maybe a huge curry and buffet isn't exactly your traditional christmas meal, but in my defence a chicken in China comes with its head, feet and all the gooey bits inside - and that’s something I just can’t deal with. However it was my first time hosting a party and cooking for anyone other than me and the Caveman so I’m proud it was a success. And did I mention there were ten people!

January 2016

So here we are in 2016. Already it is shaping up to be a good one. There a so many new book releases I am looking forward to, one of my oldest friends is getting married in August, and next month I am off to Cambodia.

:)

How are thing’s going with everyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment